We not only work with carers to help overcome any issues with their caring role but we also support local employers to help them recognise and support carers within their workforce. This ensures that organisations and line managers are familiar with legislation in relation to carers and are aware of other simple methods of supporting carers in the workplace.
A working carer is someone who works full or part-time, and provides unpaid care to someone who couldn’t cope without their support
We provide the following FREE services for employees:
- 1-2-1 confidential support from support workers
- Help with benefits
- Support obtaining a carer’s assessment from the local council
- Support liaising with social services
- Short breaks and respite care
- Social activities, and mutual support from other carers
Why not become a ‘Carer Friendly Employer’?
As an employer in Gateshead it is estimated that almost 15% of your employees will have significant caring responsibilities in addition to paid employment. 1 in 6 carers give up work or cut back on hours to care. This is generating an unwelcome financial impact on businesses faced with losing skilled employees in whom they have already made a considerable investment.
We want to work with employers across Gateshead to identify ‘hidden carers’ within their work force who may not be receiving support. We can support employers to ensure that their policies and procedures are carer-friendly and help their staff access a range of benefits by simply signing up to our Carer-Friendly Employer Charter…. Just look at what you can receive, and best of all it’s free!
We provide the following FREE services for employers:
- Drop-ins and 1-2-1 appointments with staff on employers’ premises
- Emotional support and counselling
- Training sessions for HR staff and line managers*
- Presentations/talks at team meetings
- Policy reviews
- The Charter award
The Carer-Friendly Employer Charter
Committing to the charter is free, and any employer can sign up to the Charter and celebrate their commitment to help Carers in their workplace. To find out how to become a Carer-Friendly Employer please contact Katalin Bartos Tel: 0191 4900121 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Carer Friendly Employers in Gateshead
We would like to say a big THANK YOU to the following employers below who have committed to the Charter:
- Age UK Gateshead
- Akzo Nobel International Paints
- Citizens Advice Gateshead
- Gateshead College
- Gateshead Council
- Gateshead GMB
- Gateshead Housing Company
- Gateshead NHS Foundation Trust
- Gateshead Unison
- Gibside School
- Hill Top / Dryden School
- Job Centre Plus Northumberland Tyne and Wear District
- North East Council on Addiction
- Tyneside Womens Health
- Zodiac Training (now Ingeus)
We are also proud to work with :
- Sainsbury’s (Team Valley)
- The Sage
- Tesco (Trinity Square)
- TUC & The Better Health at Work Awards
- Metro Centre
- Hilton (Gateshead)
Download our Working Carer and Employers Toolkit
We have a range of downloadable resources to support employers and working carers.
- Employees Guide:
- Employers Guide:
- Working Carers Passport: Passport
- Leaflet and poster about the service: Leaflet, Poster
- The Carer-Friendly Employer Charter Award – Nat.WC_EmployerAward
The Toolkit is available to anyone, and can be used by other Carers Centres’. We would ask that you inform us if you wish to distribute the Toolkit.
Who funds our Working Carer and Employers projects?
The ‘Carer Friendly Employer’ scheme has been developed and produced by Gateshead Carers Association and is funded by the Big Lottery Fund and The Equalities Office.
If you would like to talk about how we can help you to support your business and employees better, please speak to Katalin Bartos Tel: 0191 4900121 or email: email@example.com