Gateshead Carers Association is a charity helping carers living or working in the borough of Gateshead. We provide confidential advice and information alongside practical and emotional support that is tailored to each individual carer. We campaign to influence policies at local government and with employers and service providers to improve carers lives.
To make a significant positive difference in the lives of adult carers’ by efficiently and effectively providing the highest quality personalised carer support in Gateshead.
We work to ensure that adult carers…
- Have improved health and wellbeing
- Have an improved quality of life being better able to realise their potential through employment, education and training
- Are treated with respect and dignity and their role is recognised and valued
- Have improved financial health
- Have a life of their own outside of caring
- Have a campaigning voice on issues affecting them.
Our Objectives are…
- To shape and influence local, regional and national strategies and policies which impact on the lives of adult carers
- To provide an information, advice, guidance and support service for adult carers
- To provide short breaks for adult carers
- To develop services for adult carers from the BME and LGBT communities
- To identify, engage with and support adult carers earlier in their caring journey
- To identify and develop services for working age carers
- To work with employers to develop carer friendly policies and practice
- To provide services which are of value to all adult carers across age range and condition of the cared for
- To develop the GP carer referral pathway across all practices in Gateshead
- To ensure that adult carers are listened to, respected and are able to influence and shape health and social care practice and policies
- To be the authoritative voice of adult carers in Gateshead.
We are an independent charity and network member of the carers Trust and currently funded through various streams including Gateshead Clinical Commissioning Group, Public Health Gateshead and the Big Lottery Fund as well as through smaller voluntary sector funders and private donations from individuals.
Gateshead Carers Association is managed by a Board of Trustees with a Chairperson, Vice Chair, Treasurer and Company Secretary. Over 50% of board members are or have been carers. There are currently 21 members of staff including the Chief Executive Officer.
We are driven by a professional, committed and outcomes focused approach to supporting carers living and working in Gateshead. We take an active interest in local, sub regional, regional and national developments affecting carers and campaign for carers’ interests. We aim to influence and shape policy relating to carers at all levels to reflect the voice of carers.
Our Strategic Plan 2014-17
You can download a copy of the organisational strategic plan which outlines our aims, objectives and priorities for the next 3 years. This document gives an overview of our status, operating environment and provides a profile of adult carers in Gateshead.
Download Carer Outcomes Star_2014 to see the impact our service can make to carer’s lives.
We are always looking for new and better ways to support and campaign for unpaid carers in Gateshead. If you have any comments or suggestions on how we could improve our service to carers, please get in touch here.
Gateshead Carers Association
John Haswell House
8-9 Gladstone Terrace
Tyne & Wear
Tel: 0191 4900121 | Fax: 0191 4900128
Charity Registration No.1118942. Company Registration No.6133161.